Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Someone's Been Sitting in my Chair!

Wow – where has the time gone?? I will quickly ask for apologies for my “leave of absence” and then I’m going to move on! I just watched Julie and Julia so needless to say, I am motivated to get back to sharing my random thoughts about art, but also about everything else! So from here on out, this blog will come much more often and probably be much more random! J

You’ve missed me, right?? SAW WHEAT!!!! (say it fast!!) 'n there ya go! Glad ya missed me. J

We have had a very busy few months. I have been running in every direction you can imagine . . . teaching school, consulting, doing books, attending school, learning web site design, cheering on my Utah Jazz and cleaning out cupboards . . . everything except two things: blogging and exercising! I intend to do more of, well, at least one of those two things . . . J

Doug, however, has been enjoying his winter hibernation in his “man cave.”

Okay – I have to tell you about Doug’s haven. Hopefully, everyone has their space where they can keep their “stuff” and DO their favorite “stuff.” Ya know, where you can just "chillax!" I'm pretty sure I didn't just make up that word . . . Doug’s haven is his studio. It fits him like a glove. I mean, a renovated old house with everything a man could ever want for a “dog house!” What a great “getaway” to spend the day “working.” did I just put that in quotes . . . I don't think I meant to! hee hee Here's a visual . . He has one room with his framing table with 4 vices, a room for storing shipping and packing materials and storing old “retired” paintings and frames, and one room has been transformed into an “office” for his lovely wife and amazing office manager--emphasis added by editor ;)

The living room, however, has become the “master suite!” The easel (that moves up and down at the push of a button) sits smack dab in the middle of the room. The pallet, to his right, is tailored with slots and shelves to meet every need. On the left, is a table housing his computer, his camera and a custom-made “music stand” for his guitar book.

He has built a little “perch” for Jade so she can look out the window and watch the kids walk to and from school! He has also, so considerately, placed a nice big easy chair for me to sit in and watch him paint. all together now, "ahhhhhhhhh." Oh . . . well . . . yeah, I think he sits in it on occasion, and for those rare times, he has covered the chair with an old sheet so as to protect it from Thalo green paint that might be on his hands or his clothes, but that’s a rare occasion, I’m sure! Oh, did I mention there is a little TV mounted strategically up in the corner so I can see it from the easy chair – how sweet is that?!!

The kitchen has been designated as the “gesso” room – prepping both boards and canvases, with a big flat file where the stove used to be. The fridge, however, needed to stay. All the “necessities” of an “office” lunchroom-–microwave, toaster oven, half of my dishes, bowls, my favorite glasses and half my set of silverware. I find my favorite paring knives missing and somehow my roll of paper towel in my kitchen magically disappears. What the heck? You have a nicer vacuum here than I do in my house? Grrrrrr . . . deep breath . . . I’ll go on . . . The stereo system has been wired to go into every room – with a switch of a button. Nice! Did I say EVERY room? Oh, yeah, I did. But . . . . and yes, it’s a big but . . . (but a “but” with only 1 “t” mind you) . . . with the paintings that have come off that easel in the master suite, I have resorted to the fact that the boy can have as many of my paring knives and dishes as he wants and, now that I think about it, there's no stereo sound in the bathroom . . . hmm, hon, you should work on that - you really should have music in the bathroom!!

With all of the chaos that I have in my life, Doug is as steady as an old work horse. He has been the stability in my life and has had a phenomenal year!! Below is a picture of me (I'm inside the jar) and Doug is portrayed by the brush . . . we call this little piece "Stimulus Package!"

"Stimulus Package"
16 x 20

This was part of a fantastic show at Terzian Gallery a couple of weeks ago. For those of you who were “in the neighborhood” and stopped by, I think you had a real treat! I’m going to post a few of my favorites here. He’s also promised a painting a week for me to post if I’ll pen a few lines! Deal!!! I’m on it! I have a million great stories to tell you so check back soon! I will be back within the week to share with you my newfound popularity at NUAMES High School – officially the favorite substitute teacher EVER to step foot on their campus!!

This blogging has worn me out . . . I think I’m going to take a break and rest in MY easy chair . . . hey, is it just me, or is there quite a bit of green paint on this chair . . . J

"This and That"
14 x 16
SOLD



"Over the Edge"
14 x 16
SOLD


"Jay Walking"
16 x 20
SOLD


"Flying Solo"
42 x 40


"Fading Fast"
42 x 40


"Looking for a Lift"
14 x 16
SOLD


"Park City Post Office"
42 x 40


"All Shapes & Sizes"
12 x 16


2 comments:

  1. I love this blog post! But did my favorite sell? The one with the big boulder in the foreground? Keep up the great work Doug! WOOHOO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi: Always fun to paruse through the pictures and fun activities that you guys have been able to do. The pictures that Doug is doing and has done help put Sunset on the map.
    Keep smiling.

    ReplyDelete